What is /boot/kernel/*.symbols?

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 08:41:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Dimitry Andric<dimitry at andric.com> wrote:
> On 2009-07-06 09:42, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
>>> #define ROOT_DEFAULT_SIZE               512
>>
>> IMHO it is not. If you install a kernel with *.symbols present
>> twice (i.e. kernel and kernel.old contain symbol files), your
>> root partition will be > 95% full.
>
> I'm not sure how you arrive at this number; even with -CURRENT (on i386,
> with all debug symbols), I could store about 4 complete kernels on such
> a filesystem:
>
> $ du -hs /boot/kernel*
> 122M    /boot/kernel
> 122M    /boot/kernel.20090629a
> 121M    /boot/kernel.20090630a
> 122M    /boot/kernel.20090702a
> 121M    /boot/kernel.20090703a
>
> All other files on my root filesystem use up an additional ~25 MiB, so
> in practice, it would be limited to 3 kernels, with more than enough
> breathing room.

atom# uname -a
FreeBSD atom.localdomain 7.2-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p1 #0: Tue
Jun  9 18:02:21 UTC 2009
root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

atom# du -hs /boot/kernel*
205M    /boot/kernel

This is on a stock 7.2-release/amd64 updated to -p1 with
freebsd-update, 2 kernels is the maximum that would fit into the
default 512mb partition size for /, a bit too tight for my liking.

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov