FreeBSD child process die for root

Sagara Wijetunga sagara at tomahawk.com.sg
Fri Jul 3 15:45:00 UTC 2009

Carlos A. M. dos Santos writes:

> Try to debug the "login" program:
>
> (become root)
> # cd /usr/src/usr.bin/login
> # make clean
> # make CFLAGS=-g
> # gdb /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/login/login
> (supposing that "sagara" is your user name)
> #run sagara
> (fill-in the password name, if requested)
>
> If the signal 11 is caught, issue "bt" command in gcc. It will show
> you where the break happened.

I tried to debug the login program, here are the results:
1. For normal users, gdb exists "Program exited normally."

2. For root, gdb says "Login incorrect".
   On /var/log/messages:
   login: pam_acct_mgmt(): authentication error
   login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyp0

Btw, I have mentioned in my first post that I do not have an issue with
normal user logins. Its only root has a problem.

When try to "su -l" from a normal user, there is no "pam_acct_mgmt():
authentication error" on logs. Its only a "(su), uid 0: exited on signal
11".

Regards
Sagara