What is /boot/kernel/*.symbols?

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Fri Jul 3 14:41:35 UTC 2009

Hello,

On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 04:35:54PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> You can find this in /usr/src/UPDATING:
>
> 20060118:
>         This actually occured some time ago, but installing the kernel
>         now also installs a bunch of symbol files for the kernel modules.
>         This increases the size of /boot/kernel to about 67Mbytes. You
>         will need twice this if you will eventually back this up to kernel.old
>         on your next install.
>         If you have a shortage of room in your root partition, you should add
>         -DINSTALL_NODEBUG to your make arguments or add INSTALL_NODEBUG="yes"
>         to your /etc/make.conf.

Thanks a lot. I've been searching the handbook and Google for at
least one hour.

> However, you should consider increasing the size of your root
> partition, if possible.  It can be extremely handy to have symbol files
> available whenever there's a crash.  :)

But I thought, they were in the kernel itself?

%file /boot/kernel/kernel
/boot/kernel/kernel: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

"not stripped" - i.e. "with debug symbols". Wrong? Since when?

Thanks,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100