FreeBSD child process die for root

Sagara Wijetunga sagara at tomahawk.com.sg
Wed Jul 1 10:48:39 UTC 2009

Hi

I'm Sagara Wijetunga from Tomahawk Computers from Singapore, makers of the
Tomahawk Desktop, a FreeBSD based desktop operating system
(http://www.tomahawkcomputers.com/) which is free for personal use.

Ever since we upgraded our Tomahawk Core OS to the FreeBSD 7.2 sources, we
experienced a strange issue as follows:

   1. The root cannot login from the console, child process forked die with
“uid 0: exited on signal 11”.
   2. Normal users can log in, no issue.
   3. Normal users can type “su” and become root, but “su -l”
results child process forked die with “uid 0: exited on signal 11”.
   4. The /var/log/messages shows “(cron), uid 0: exited on signal 11
(core dumped)”

We use a different build method to create Tomahawk Core OS, therefore, we
earlier decided not to complain about this issue till we release the beta
version as we were thinking without having access to our OS it may be
difficult to diagnose this issue.

Then we saw “Deadlock in a multi-threaded program during fork(2)” on
FreeBSD website and upgraded our sources to the latest and rebuilt the
Tomahawk Core OS but the problem we face did not go away.

Appreciate if the FreeBSD community could give us a helping hand to identify
the cause of the issue we are facing.

Kind regards
Sagara Wijetunga