Replace Cisco IOS/CBOS with freebsd - possible?

Mike Andrews mandrews at bit0.com
Fri Jan 30 18:43:47 PST 2009

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Chris H wrote:

> Please take no offense. But as I look inside, the CPU does, in fact
> say Motorola. The documentation for it also confirms that most of
> (if not all) of the 800 series also used the Motorola RISC.

Cisco's used several CPU architectures in their IOS routers over the
years.  The very very earliest routers used Motorola m68K processors.
Later high-end routers used MIPS processors from various vendors (like
Broadcom and IDT, but never Motorola).  Most of their models from the last
decade, including the entire 800 series, are Motorola/Freescale PowerPC
based.  You can see that by running "show version" at the Cisco's command
prompt; it'll probably say it's got a MPC85x or MPC86x PowerQUICC in it.

What are you trying to do that the Cisco can't do, anyway?  (reply
off-list to that maybe)  It might just be a matter of getting a different
feature set on the thing... IOS can do a LOT of really weird stuff.  :)