Replace Cisco IOS/CBOS with freebsd - possible?

Chris H chris# at 1command.com
Thu Jan 29 15:09:58 PST 2009

Hello, and thank you for your reply.

Quoting Chris Peterson <chris at lameness.info>:

> Pfsense sounds like exactly what you're looking for. It's a stripped
> down freeBSD

Don't get me wrong, I think pfSense goes a long way to my intended
goal - not the least of which, is pfDNS. I haven't written it off
by any means.

> with a fancy web interface (well, not too fancy,

To be honest - the first thing I'd do, is strip the (any) GUI stuff
out. I have no issue with opening a terminal shell via cu - tip(1).
In fact, for security reasons, I'd prefer to insure that the only
access available is over a serial port (local). Not to mention the
size/space savings gains. :)

> it's been incredibly stable for me). I've deployed it a couple times
> in  pseudo production environments and it's been holding up well for
> the  last 1.5years+.
>
> You can also check out
> http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cPath=60_84&products_id=492
> for a nice PIX-sized chasis for pfsense if you need a small box.

Looks intriguing. The only real advantage I see here, would be the
amount of ram available. The 837 I propose to use, only supports 64Mb.

Thanks again for your infoamative response.

--Chris