Replace Cisco IOS/CBOS with freebsd - possible?

Chris Peterson chris at lameness.info
Thu Jan 29 10:32:11 PST 2009

Pfsense sounds like exactly what you're looking for. It's a stripped
down freeBSD with a fancy web interface (well, not too fancy, it's
been incredibly stable for me). I've deployed it a couple times in
pseudo production environments and it's been holding up well for the
last 1.5years+.

You can also check out http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cPath=60_84&products_id=492
  for a nice PIX-sized chasis for pfsense if you need a small box.