Unhappy Xorg upgrade

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 29 06:13:06 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 08:58 -0500, Alex Goncharov wrote:
> ,--- You/Robert (Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:40:11 -0500) ----*
> | I've had patches available for probably a couple of months now posted to
> | freebsd-x11 at .  For the few people who tested it, I had no real issues
> | reported.  We were stalled for a long time, While X kept moving, so the
> | amount of change was large.  This update also brings in support for a
> | lot of people who are running newer hardware.
> |
> | I realize that there are some issues with the mouse driver...  I'm
> | trying to look at and resolve, but I don't really know input drivers, so
> | I doing a lot of guess work.  On top of that I do have a day job, so
> | time is limited.
>
> Understood.
>
> Would you have spent more time if the new X was introduced as two (?)
> new ports: xorg-server-devel and libxcb-devel.  Is X less complicated,
> less dangerous, less "user-binding" than firefox or emacs?

Problem is, it isn't just the Xserver... All of the pieces are
intertwined and so in many cases to update Xserver you also need to
update some/several libraries as well as all of your drivers.  Xorg is
about 60 or 70 ports now.

FWIW, I have Xserver 1.6 and xrandr bits that are rc already... as well
as a new intel driver that I don't want to update without xserver 1.6.

robert.