SSH problem

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Mon Jan 26 22:26:08 PST 2009

On Jan 26, 2009, at 12:54, Julian Stacey wrote:

> Hi,
> Reference:
>> From:		Xian Chen <hoganxian at gmail.com>
>> Date:		Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:45:56 -0500
>> Message-id:	<a2dd20fc0901261045m57230e5cr8d22d905517c8629 at mail.gmail.com
>> >

> Xian Chen wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I can use scp to move files from a linux to my Freebsd machine.
>>
>> But, when I try to use WinSCP under windows, it always failed. WinSCP
>> errors: "Network error: Connection refused". Both scp & sftp fail
>> if using
>> WinSCP.
>>
>> Any clues for this?
>
> on FreeBSD:
> 	man sftp says -v option exists
> 	man ssh also offers -v
> so try both those from Win/Lose/Mickesoft (*),
> Also ref.
> 	man sshd
> try
> 	 kill -9 `cat /var/run/sshd.pid`
> or hash out sshd line in /etc/inetd.conf & then
> 	kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`
> & then run  as root
> 	/usr/sbin/sshd -D -d
> &
> 	more /var/run/auth.log
>
> (*) PS I hate MS & dont use it, but doesnt invalidate debug stuff
> above
> though, except you might need to start ssh from a command line to
> add a parameter, rather than just clicking.

Here is how I have setup secure ftp for our users:

LAFN now provides a ftp server that handles the ftp-ssl and ftp-tls
protocols (RFC-2228).  These protocols will encrypt the user id and
password and can also be configured to encrypt the file contents if
desired.  The standard ftp port, 21, is used for both encrypted and
non-encrypted ftp sessions.  The older sftp, scp, and implicit ftp-ssl
protocols are not supported.  Obviously transfer times are longer if
encryption is used.  There are several Windows and Unix clients that
support these protocols.  The following clients are believed to work
properly:

CuteFTP Pro 2.0 	Windows
FileZilla 2.0.0 beta 5 	Windows (GPL)
SmartFTP 1.0 build 969 	Windows
WinSSLWrap 1.17 	Windows
WS_FTP Pro 7.5 	Windows
FTP Voyager Secure 9.1.0.1 	Windows
Lftp 2.5.2 	Unix

In addition there is a client available at http://bsdftpd-ssl.sc.ru
that will work with Windows 9x, NT, 2000, and some Linux
distributions.  The only known client for Macintosh is available in
the LAFN FAQ.  It only works with OS-X and is the command line client
from the fstftpd-ssl distribution.

The client info above is a bit old, but is probably still accurate.
There may be additional clients available now.  On the server I use
the bsdftpd-ssl port.  It replaces the base ftpd.  Several of the
above clients are in regular use.