[7.1] sysinstall fdisk breaks Mac Os X bootcamp partitions

Patrick Lamaizière patfbsd at davenulle.org
Mon Jan 26 16:38:43 PST 2009

Hi,

I've installed FreeBSD on my MacBook Pro via bootcamp and sysinstall
breaks the partitions: Mac os X is not able to see his partition any
more. Only the freebsd slice is bootable.
- bootcamp to make a 'windows' (tm) partition,
- boot on the FreeBSD's dvd and install it.

I didn't notice when i made the installation but the 7.1 dvd see the
partitions as:
Name	Ptype	Desc	Subtype
-	12	unused	0
ad4p1	5	unknown	0
ad4p2	5	unknown	0
-	12	unused	0
ad4p3	5	unknown	0
-	12	unused	0

FreeBSD 7.0 see:
Name	Ptype	Desc	Subtype
-	12	unused	0
ad4s2	4	unknown	175
-	12	unused	0
ad4s3	7	fat	11
-	12	unused	0

And the installation works fine with 7.0 (on ad4s3)
I've updated to 7.1-STABLE (kernel GENERIC) and the sysinstall's fdisk
now see the drive exactly like 7.0. Hmmm...

Well, do not use 7.1 to install FreeBSD on a Mac via bootcamp.

Regards.