System borked: loader stack overflow.

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Sun Jan 18 13:14:12 PST 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:18:09PM -0800, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 09:08:56PM +0100, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > no, this cannot be "fixed" because it is the user misprogramming
> > the system, such as providing the wrong path to the kernel
> > or writing a loop in /etc/rc.conf or a billion other ways.
>
> Yes, but you can copy /etc/defaults/rc.conf to /etc/rc.conf and things
> still work.

just because it contains only variable assignments, whereas the
"assignments" in loader.conf have other side effects.

However, I agree that a split of the content of loader.conf
might make reduce the chance of mistakes.
I'll look into this.

> Ok, then loader_conf_files needs to be marked as special and not to be
> overridden from /boot/defaults/loader.conf like all the other options.

Unless i misunderstand what you say, this is already documented in
loader.conf(5)

	cheers
	luigi