interrupt storm on MSI IXP600 based motherboards

Marat N.Afanasyev amarat at ksu.ru
Thu Jan 15 20:18:33 PST 2009

Dan Langille wrote:

>>> Opening the case, reading the m/b:
>>>
>>>   K9A2 Platinum MSI
>>

>> I hadnt been paying much attention to this thread, but just to let you
>> know that I also saw the same thing on this machine which has an MSI
>> 790FX
>> Platinum motherboard. It was also irq22, and I am also running amd64.
>>
>> In my case I simply disabled the onboard ethernet (which I wasnt using)
>> and the problem went away - but then I only saw the problem once, it
>> wasnt
>> a regular occurrance. If you have an alternative ether card you can drop
>> in thn you could try that...
>
> FYI, this box has always run off an ethernet card (fxp).  The on-board
> NIC (re) was enabled.  After disabling, the ethernet storms persisted.

trouble with onboard re(4) was resolved in -CURRENT and -STABLE, but
storms are not bound to ethernet only. storm may appear on any device.
if any device generates enough interrupts rate, storm will arrive.

I've written about it in
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2009-January/047644.html

so far i can say that this issue is related on MSI IXP600 based
motherboards only. well, we should try to find out what we can do to
resolve it.

--
SY, Marat