Mounting / using /dev/ufs/name

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Wed Jan 14 12:16:37 PST 2009

Frank Mayhar wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 19:00 +0100, Václav Haisman wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I tried to mount root slice using the device nodes provided in /dev/ufs
>> directory. It works fine for other slices but not for the root slice. If I
>> try it I get prompt asking for root slice at boot time. It this not possible
>> at all or am I doing something wrong?
>
> If you don't have geom_label built into the kernel it's a chicken-egg
> problem.  Even if you do, early startup almost certainly doesn't have
> devfs available yet.

# mount
/dev/ufs/2root on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/ufs/2tmp on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ufs/2usr on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ufs/2var on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/usr/home/root on /root (nullfs, local)
pid1026 at mobileKamikaze:/var/run/automounter.amd.mnt on /var/run/automounter.amd.mnt (nfs)
/dev/fuse0 on /var/run/automounter.mnt/ntfs/2vault (fusefs, local, noatime, synchronous

Try to add geom_label_load="YES" to your /boot/loader.conf file.