Simple? Hardware upgrade.

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Wed Jan 14 07:42:34 PST 2009

> a) Only put the disk in a new machine at least a double core with 2GB
> of RAM. My guess is that could boot with a few problems on
> hardware.... what do you think?

That should work fine - I have moved discs between machines with no
problems.

> b) If is possible to "clone" the same installation to a new faster
> disk (like a sata 250GB). I know I can install a /.x version and for

Yes, this is also do-able. I always do this via a 3rd bootable
drive or partition. have the old and the new drive attached to a system,
boot from the 3rd and use 'cpdup' (which is in ports) to copy everythong
from / downwards from the old drive to the new. The reason I do this from
a 3rd drive is to avid copying a running system.

You neeed to mark the new drive as bootable using disklabel, and
possibly make some changes to fstab if the drive name has changed,
but it will then boot as a clone of the old one.

-pete.