lenovo t400 does not start 7.1

Ganbold ganbold at micom.mng.net
Tue Jan 13 18:15:41 PST 2009

Harald Servat wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I downloaded FreeBSD 7.1 (DVD iso image) for amd64 architecture (with
> correct SHA256 checksum), but I'm unable to start the system (Lenovo T400).
>
>   The boot process starts fine, the BTX messages appear, the 7-option menu
> also appears, but when I hit enter (or when I choose start without ACPI or
> start in safe mode) the \ symbols starts spinning for a while and then
> freezes.
>
>   I also tried with the 7.1-amd64-CD1, 7.1-i386-CD1 and a snapshot of
> 8.0-CURRENT dated from December. And the result is the same for all of them.
>
>   Does anyone have any idea on what can be happening? Or at least, how can I
> gather more information about this issue?

Please try setting "Integrated Graphics" or "Switchable Graphics" mode
on Display setting in
BIOS. AFAICT it is known issue and FreeBSD doesn't boot when set to
Discrete Graphics in BIOS.

Ganbold

--
Too often I find that the volume of paper expands to fill the available
briefcases. -- Governor Jerry Brown