amr driver changes in FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE

Steve Polyack korvus at comcast.net
Tue Jan 13 11:27:28 PST 2009

Hello,

We have a Dell PowerEdge 1850 server.  It contains two PERC4 RAID
controllers.  One is a PERC4e/Si, and the other is a PERC4/DC.  Right
now we are running FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE, with a 36GB RAID-1 on the
PERC4e/Si (amr0), and both a 1TB RAID5 and a 136GB RAID1 on the
PERC4/DC(amr1). Both adapters are running the latest firmware revision.

When we boot FreeBSD7.1 install media, the amr driver fails to detect
any volumes (disks) attached to amr0, the PERC4e/Si.  However, it picks
up the attached disks on the PERC4/DC just fine.  However, if I boot
7.0-RELEASE install media, it picks up all of the attached volumes,
leading me to believe the issue is due to changes in the amr driver
between 7.0 and 7.1.  During the 7.1 boot process, before probing disks,
we see the message "amr0: adapter is busy" show up twice.  This also
does not occur on the 6.3, 6.4, or 7.0 releases.

We also have another PE1850 with a very similar configuration, except
the two PERCs get probed in a different order, and it detects all of the
attached volumes without any issues.

Any suggestions? These are semi-critical systems, so we aren't always
able to test things like this.  But, we can schedule downtime once or
twice a week if necessary.

-Steve Polyack