Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 12 16:09:24 PST 2009

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Pete French wrote:

>> I'm not sure if you've done this already, but the normal suggestions apply:
>> have you compiled with INVARIANTS/WITNESS/DDB/KDB/BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER, and do
>> any results / panics / etc result?  Sometimes these debugging tools are
>> able to convert hangs into panics, which gives us much more ability to
>> debug them.
>
> OK, I have now had a machine hand again, with the correct debug options in
> the kernel. The screen looked like this when I went to restart it:
>
> 	http://toybox.twisted.org.uk/~pete/71_lor2.png
>
> It had not, however, dropped into any kind of debugger. Also there appear to
> me console messages after the lock order reversal - is that normal ?

Lock order reversals are warnings of potential deadlock due to a lock cycle,
but deadlocks may not actually result, either because it's a false positive
(some locking construct that is deadlock free but involves lock cycles), or
because a cycle didn't actually form.  The message is suggestive, but if you
have significant system activity after the message, then it may be unrelated.

> The machine did stay up for a signifanct amount of time before doing this. I
> notice that it is more or less identical to the one I posted whenI had
> WITNESS_KDB in the kernel too, so maybe those results arent entirely
> suprious after all ?
>
> Given it hasnt dropped to a debugger, is there anything else I can try ?

Features like WITNESS and INVARIANTS may change the timing of the kernel
making certain race conditions less likely; I'd run with them for a bit and
see if you can reproduce the hang with them present, as they will make
debugging the problem a lot easier, if it's possible.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge