Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Mon Jan 12 07:16:51 PST 2009

> I'm not sure if you've done this already, but the normal suggestions apply:
> have you compiled with INVARIANTS/WITNESS/DDB/KDB/BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER, and do
> any results / panics / etc result?  Sometimes these debugging tools are able
> to convert hangs into panics, which gives us much more ability to debug them.

I did, but it turns out I had an incorrect option in there which made the
data I got not relevent. I now have another machine running a kernel
with the following config:

include         GENERIC
ident           DEBUG

options         KDB
options         DDB
options         SW_WATCHDOG
options         DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS
options         MUTEX_DEBUG
options         WITNESS
options         LOCK_PROFILING
options         INVARIANTS
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT
options         DIAGNOSTIC

Those should enable me to get some useful output I hope.

> If it still hangs rather than panicking, are you able to break into the
> debugger on the console?  If you're using a video console and not able to get
> to the debugger, would it be possible to configure a serial console and use

I cant add a sserial console - I am remote enough from most of
these machines (Slough) and very remote from the test box (its in the USA!)
so I cant get to them physicly. But I do have iLo which lets me use the
console and gives me a bit of access to the front. I will check for NMI.

Just had another lockup here - my working day has become a succession of
running round rebooting servers though iLo at the moment.

Will get back to you when the debug one has crashed - I could possibly
give you direct access to the iLo console on that if you need it ?

-pete.