Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Mon Jan 12 06:35:30 PST 2009

> I've performed five buildworlds decrementing -j from 16 to 6 and I
> can't lock up the server.

Mine never lock up doing buildworlds either. They only lock up when they are
sitting there more of less idle! The machines which have never locked up
are the webservers, which are fairly heavlt loaded. The machine which locks
up the most frequently is a box sitting there doing nothing but DNS, which is
the most lightly loaded of the lot.

I am going to roll back to 7.0 on all of the HP machines now, having
had yet another day of rebooting locked up machines. I will leave one
running 7.1 with the debug options in the kernel to try and get some
useful results out of this. All the machines are now running GENERIC with
no specail optimisations, CPU types or anything like that. Absolutely out
of the box vanilla 7.1/amd64 as far as I know :-(

-pete.