Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Fri Jan 9 19:27:13 PST 2009

At 2:39 PM -0500 1/9/09, Robert Blayzor wrote:
>On Jan 8, 2009, at 8:58 PM, Pete French wrote:
>>I have a number of HP 1U servers, all of which were running 7.0
>>perfectly happily. I have been testing 7.1 in it's various incarnations
>>for the last couple of months on our test server and it has performed
>>perfectly.
>

>I noticed a problem with 7.0 on a couple of Dell servers.  [...]
>We've since then compiled the kernel under the BSD scheduler to rule
>that out, and so far so good.
>
>Since ULE is now default in 7.1 and not in 7.0, perhaps you can try that?

FWIW, the other guy I know who is having this problem had already
switched to using ULE under 7.0-release, and did not have any
problems with it.  So *his* problem was probably not related to
SCHED_ULE, unless something has recently changed there.

Turns out he hasn't reverted back to 7.0-release just yet, so he's
going to try SCHED_4BSD and see if that helps his situation.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu