Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Fri Jan 9 19:19:45 PST 2009

At 1:58 AM +0000 1/9/09, Pete French wrote:
>I have a number of HP 1U servers, all of which were running 7.0
>perfectly happily. I have been testing 7.1 in it's various incarnations
>for the last couple of months on our test server and it has performed
>perfectly.
>
>So the last two days I have been round upgrading all our servers, knowing
>that I had run the system stably on identical hardware for some time.
>
>Since then I have starte seeing machines lock up. This always happens
>under heavy disc load. When I bring the machine back up then sometimes
>it fails to fsck due to a partialy truncated inode. The locksup appear
>to be disc related  [...]

One of my friends is also having trouble with lockups on two machines
he had upgraded to 7.1.  Also seems to be related to heavy disk I/O,
although I'm not sure the symptoms are the same as what you report.
Both machines had been running 7.0-release without trouble.  On at
least one of the systems, he's also working with (what I consider)
very large file systems (over 2 TB).  Both machines are using a 3ware
controller with its RAID.

I realize that isn't much to go on, but it suggests that there is
some problem wider than just your (Pete's) usage.  I think his
situation is such that lockups like this are simply not acceptable,
and the last I heard he was reverting back to 7.0-release.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu