Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(

Guy Helmer ghelmer at palisadesys.com
Fri Jan 9 07:27:20 PST 2009

Pete French wrote:
>> Are you using the same disk controller as Peter ?  Do both of you run
>> with quotas on the file system ?  By lockup, do you mean it doesnt
>> respond to the network either or just anything that needs disk IO ?
>>

> I dont think he can be using yhe same controller, as mine is an
> embedded HPO unit. they do make a separate plugin one though - P400
> SAS controller.
>
> My symptoms are that the thing locks hard and respionds to nothing, no
> keypresses or anything. I am assuming that the disc is the first thing to
> go though, ebcause I see data which was being written to a file and a
> processes reading from that file to the network. more of the file comes
> over the network than makes it phyiscally onto the disc
>
> The only useful error I ever saw was the message about spin
> lock / turnstile locks being held for too long.
>
> -pete.

OK, perhaps my issue is different then.  My symptoms seem to be a hang
from anything that triggers a fork(), such as entering a command at a
shell prompt or entering a user name at the console's login prompt.
Network activity still works -- all the TCP connections stay up until I
drop into the kernel debugger or power cycle.

Guy

--
Guy Helmer, Ph.D.
Chief System Architect