ver 4.2 won't allow save because it can't see 2.2T disk drive

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Jan 7 06:11:46 PST 2009

Tom Samplonius wrote:
 > Anyways, it doesn't really matter what "df" reports.  If df is
 > folding some of the 64bit values in negative numbers, it is no
 > issue really.

It depends on the application of the OP.  If it queries the
free space on the device before writing data to it, then
the negative numbers might indeed be a problem.

If the application forks df(1), a very simple work-around
would be to install a small wrapper script that prints some
values that the application is happy with.  However, if the
application calls getfsstat(2), it will be more difficult
to work around.

By the way, the fields in the statfs structure were changed
from 32bit signed values to 64bit unsigned values between
FreeBSD 5.1 and 5.2.  So, in order to solve the problem,
the OP would have to update at least to FreeBSD 5.2.

(Don't get me wrong; I do not recommend  to install 5.2;
it's five years old and not supported anymore.  If you
update, I'd recommend to go for the latest release, which
is 7.1 right now.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is a protected
abstract virtual base pure virtual private destructor, and when was the
last time you needed one?"
        -- Tom Cargil, C++ Journal