Pending MFC of drm updates

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 6 21:18:13 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 07:21 +0300, Yuri Pankov wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 11:09:58PM -0500, Robert Noland wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 02:17 +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> > > On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 01:24:57 +0100
> > > Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no> wrote:
> > >
> > > I forgot to tell that I fixed the Makefile in sys/modules/drm/i915
> > > manually.

> > > Which is no wonder, because patch misplaced more files:
> > > root at kg-v2# pwd
> > > /usr/src
> > > root at kg-v2# ll *.c *c.orig *.h *h.orig
> > > -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   1650 Jan  7 01:09 drm_internal.h
> > > -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      0 Jan  7 01:09 drm_internal.h.orig
> > > -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  16455 Jan  7 01:09 i915_suspend.c
> > > -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      0 Jan  7 01:09 i915_suspend.c.orig
> > > -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  59118 Jan  7 01:09 radeon_microcode.h
> > > -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      0 Jan  7 01:09 radeon_microcode.h.orig
> > >
> > > Is ther a "secret handshake" to make patch put the files in their
> > > correct place? (Except for reading through the whole patchfile to
> > > determine if all touched filews are in the same directory.)
> > >
> > > For now I just mv'ed the files into place.
> > > Anyway, now the new kernel builds, installs and works correctly.
> > > It didn't pick up any drm, but I'm not sure that it should either. This
> > > machine[1] has a GeForce 8200 chipset. More info about FreeBSD on this
> > > machine here[2], including dmesgs before and after, etc.
> >
> > Nope, sorry no Nvidia support yet.  nouveau is on my list to work on,
> > but it's a long list...
> >
> > robert.
> >

> Any help that we mere mortals can provide other than sending you
> hardware?

I have a donated 6800 gt, I think it is.  Don't have a pci-e board to
put it on yet... nouveau isn't really ready on linux yet either, so I
couldn't even offer a real timeline at this point.  The nouveau guys are
generally good to work with, but it is entirely a reverse engineering
effort.  Nvidia is about the only major vendor that isn't releasing docs
and code now.

ATI/AMD is releasing docs and code, so r6/7xx won't be hard.  I have the
base code building now, but it isn't complete yet.  We will have this
code in the tree as soon as or before linux.  The AMD guys are good to
work with and are pretty happy to have FreeBSD support.  They have also
indicated that they might be able to help with hardware for development.

I'm also talking with VIA and it looks like they might send me hardware
also.  If they do, they will make the short list as well.

robert.