Samsung SCX-4200 printer

Peter C. Lai peter at simons-rock.edu
Tue Jan 6 22:06:37 UTC 2009

What language does this printer use? I am a big fan of the minimalistic
BSD LPD/R, so I usually just whip up an output filter that cats everything
(since just about every app natively prints as postscript these days
[besides gimp-app I guess]) to ghostscript. Works for basically any printer
with PCL or PS support (actually, with some of the the elcheapo PS
imitations out there, usually PCL5/XL works better). To me, CUPS/Foomatic
comes with some fancy PPDs and filters, but I think a lot of that is
bloated since it does similar things under the hood but wrapped in more
layers of magic...

On 2009-01-06 04:46:40PM -0500, SDH Support wrote:

> > Is there a way to install the SCX-4200 printer on a FreeBSD box ?
>
> I would recommend googling this printer and determining its support on linux
> first and then perhaps following the large amount of documentation with
> installing CUPS for freebsd. I've gotten many different printers working on
> my own.
>

> ---
> Kevin K.
> Systems Administrator
> www.webcanadahosting.com

Peter C. Lai                 | Bard College at Simon's Rock
Systems Administrator        | 84 Alford Rd.
Information Technology Svcs. | Gt. Barrington, MA 01230 USA
peter AT simons-rock.edu     | (413) 528-7428