freebsd-update painfully slow - slower than source code build of world and kernel

Christopher Arnold chris at arnold.se
Tue Jan 6 10:26:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, Daniel Bond wrote:

> I'm not sure where to post this, I had trouble finding a suitable
> mailing-list. Please point me in the right direction, if this is the wrong
> place to post this message.

I think freebsd-ports would have been the place.

> Yesterday I was struck by happiness, as I noticed 7.1-RELEASE was out on
> ftp.freebsd.org - and decided to start off by upgrading one of my companies
> development servers.
> Usually an update with FreeBSD-update is quite quick, but today and yesterday
> it has just been to slow to use, after two days of trying - I've still not
> completed a single upgrade. The
> server in question is connected to gigabit internet.
>
> I think it is embarrassing that the binary update tool, is actually slower to
> use than compiling the whole operating system and kernel - even on a slow
> machine! The reason for this,
> is not the tool it self, the tool is excellent - but there are no mirrors..
> We need some mirrors, or such a great tool is not really usable at all
> (except for the really patient).

This is a known issue that Colin sent out a message about to freebsd-ports
and freebsd-questions.

Basically there is a surge in in traffic right now due to the 7.1 release.
And there is another update machine on the way.

The message is included belov my sig.

 	/Chris

Hi all,

For the benefit of those of you who are noticing problems with portsnap
right
now: The release of FreeBSD 7.1 has resulted in a very large amount of
traffic
to update1.freebsd.org, which is hosted by the same box as
portsnap-master...
so the portsnap mirrors are having some trouble syncing right now.  If you
find
that portsnap doesn't work, please be patient -- once the flood of people
upgrading systems to 7.1-RELEASE has subsided things should get back to
normal.

(Before people ask: update2.freebsd.org is going to exist soon.  No, I'm
not looking for more mirrors right now.)

--
Colin Percival
Security Officer, FreeBSD | freebsd.org | The power to serve