cvsup freebsd 6_2 to freebsd 7_1 not upgrading?

Brian Duke brian at box201.com
Mon Jan 5 22:08:35 UTC 2009

Forgive me for not being as clear as I should have been. I was trying to be brief.
The original email stated in the paragraph below my procedure...

> I cannot understand why this system will not upgrade. Even with the
> mergemaster -p commands added this system always boots to FreeBSD
> 6.2-RELEASE.

I do reboot after the
#make installkernel
I do run mergemaster;

The fact is I made a critical mistake at the beginning of this endeavor which left me in this condition.

I followed this procedure http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/upgrade/freebsd-upgrade-6x-7x.txt up to the point where I was supposed to change from /usr/src to /usr/adm and type "make update". At that moment I knew I made a mistake not coming from FreeBSD6.4. I got an immediate "Bad system call (core dumped)". I tried to correct the problem by building world and kernel manually. That didn't help. Everything builds find with no visible errors. Since then I've been trying to fix that mistake. Here is an example of what happens during freebsd-update.

# freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... Bad system call (core dumped)
none found.
Fetching public key from update.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching metadata signature for 6.2-RELEASE from update.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Fetching 2 metadata files... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.
Fetching 69 files... failed.
#

csup also does an immediate core dump. That’s why I'm using cvsup. My Perl5.8.8 seems unaffected. I'd like to keep my /usr/home if possible and certain video drivers. That’s why I downloaded and burned new 7.1 CD's to see if the upgrade there would correct my src. The install boots up and says it will not fix my src's and tells me to try cvsup again.

Does "uname -a" only show me the MOTD data? I thought that program was a bit more precise. I've used FreeBSD for years but still consider myself very new.

My supfile looks like this:
# IMPORTANT: Change the next line to use one of the CVSup mirror sites
# listed at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mirrors.html.
*default host=cvsup15.us.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7_1
*default delete use-rel-suffix

# If you seem to be limited by CPU rather than network or disk bandwidth, try
# commenting out the following line.  (Normally, today's CPUs are fast enough
# that you want to run compression.)
*default compress

## Main Source Tree.
#
# The easiest way to get the main source tree is to use the "src-all"
# mega-collection.  It includes all of the individual "src-*" collections.
src-all

I've used FreeBSD for years but still consider myself very new. I appreciate the help reminding me to reboot and then make installworld. I should have written the first email a bit clearer.

agrapha