cvsup freebsd 6_2 to freebsd 7_1 not upgrading?

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Mon Jan 5 20:26:49 UTC 2009

OK, now I feel like an idiot, I completely misread the middle of your
e-mail.  You might still want to check out freebsd-update since it's a
lot quicker than rebuilding, but that's not your issue here.

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 01:35:55PM -0600, Brooks Davis wrote:
> [This question would be better to ask on the freebsd-questions list, but see
> below.]
>
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 11:41:40AM -0700, Brian Duke wrote:
> > Hello List,
> > I'm trying to upgrade my system from 6_2 to 7_1 and cannot seem to do it.
> > Perhaps I'm missing something. Here is the basic procedure I'm following.
> >
> > #cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile /root/stand_sup
> > #vi /root/stand_sup
> > <<<host=CHANGE_ME.freebsd.org
> > <<<tag=RELENG_6_2
> >
> > #cd /usr/src

Was /usr/src empty or populated before you did the initial cvsup?
If it was populated, you need to adopt it before updating.

http://www.cvsup.org/faq.html#caniadopt

I personally just nuke the old tree in most cases.  If you want to try an
source update, this is probably a good option.

> > #cvsup -g -L2 /root/stand_sup
> > #make -j4 buildworld; make -j4 buildkernel; make installkernel

Given a lack of a reboot here, you're lucky cvsup isn't working right.
If it was, you'd mostly likely have an unusable system part way through
the installworld below.

> > ... (come back a hour or so later)
> > #make installworld; reboot
> >
> > After system is back up log in as root and...
> >
> > # uname -a
> > FreeBSD lazerus.box201.com 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 12
> > 11:05:30 UTC 2007     root at dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP
> > i386
> >
> > I cannot understand why this system will not upgrade. Even with the
> > mergemaster -p commands added this system always boots to FreeBSD
> > 6.2-RELEASE. I've tried this in various ways about 20 times and slowly I'm
> > corrupting the 6.2 build. I have the install disks but the Upgrade FreeBSD
> > detects the /usr/src and refuses to over-write the directory. The make
> > commands always finish perfectly. Would someone give this apparent noob a
> > hand?

You might try removing the directory entirely and extracting over it.  You can
also do that manually by cating tall the split files into tar.

-- Brooks