X11 on Dell D830 with latest 7.1-PRERELEASE

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Mon Jan 5 08:45:49 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 09:29:58PM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got a Dell Latitude D830 running 7.1-PRERELEASE/amd64 which I've
> > just csup'd to the -STABLE as of 5-Jan-2009, and after going thru' the
> > std build+install; XOrg now comes up with a blank screen, sometimes
> > interspersed with green dots. I did test out X prior to doing an
> > installworld, and that came up with no problems. However, after doing
> > an installworld, X is now broken.
> >
> > Prior to this update, the D830 was running -STABLE from Nov-2008;
> > which appeared to work fine. All ports are up to date.
> >
> > I'd appreciate any help in resolving this problem.
>
> Jonathan,
>     What video card driver are you using and have you recompiled the driver?

I'm using the "nv" driver. I've recompiled everything slaved to the x11/xorg
port, with no better results. Oddly enough, my desktop which also runs
the same snapshot (and same arch) with the "nv" driver works fine.

Currently, it looks like some userland change has tripped the driver
behaviour; as running a newer kernel on an older userland is still
okay.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>