Update ports on 6.3 or update OS to 7.1(RC2) and update ports?

Thomas T. Veldhouse veldy71 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 21:03:03 UTC 2009

I have a machine where several of my installed applications are getting
way behind.  It is not a mission critical server, but I need it to be
stable (I have all fairly old well supported hardware, nothing special).

Since updating and rebuilding all the ports is pretty much mandatory for
the upgrade to 7.x and I plan to take that path soon, would most people
consider 7.1RC2 stable enough for a move now?  The machine is a home
server that provides several services on my network, but is rarely under
any load.

I know this is rather vague question, so I will be happy with any vague
answers; just positive or negative experiences with well supported
hardware (old Dell 8250 P4 3.0GHz 1.5GB 1066 RAMBUS).

Thanks in advance,

Tom Veldhouse