7.1 new install halts on BTX error

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Feb 28 21:52:04 PST 2009

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Gavin Atkinson wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 12:13 +0900, David Adam wrote:
> > I upgraded my 7.0 system to 7.1-RELEASE with freebsd-update only to find
> > that it no longer boots correctly, instead crashing with a BTX backtrace.
> > If I break to the loader prompt and use 'ls /boot', I also get a
> > backtrace.
> >
> > A new install of 7.1 on this hardware using a separate SCSI card and drive
> > array also leads to a BTX backtrace. I have copied this below as the first
> > (most repeatable) error and also included the other problems.
> >
> > A fresh install of 7.0 works fine. FreeSBIE 1.0, based on FreeBSD 5.3,
> > also boots fine and will happily list the contents of the original drive's
> > /boot in the loader, although refuses to load the kernel. The FreeBSD 7.1
> > install CD also boots and allows me to install over FTP.
>
> A patch has just gone into HEAD which may fix this problem.  If you want
> to test it, it's at
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/boot/i386/btx/btx/btx.S.diff?r1=1.47;r2=1.48
> and should apply cleanly.

I built and installed a new version of -CURRENT which has this patch,
using the instructions at the bottom of UPDATING. To be certain - btx
doesn't need loading into the boot blocks, does it? bsdlabel -wB from my
7.0-RELEASE install and then using make installworld etc with DESTDIR
should ensure that the new boot binaries are installed?

If so, then unfortunately the patch does not help - btx still crashes with
a similar traceback to the one I originally posted.

I would be more than happy to test further patches.

David Adam
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au