powerd causing crash on Mini-ITX EN1200

Paul B. Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 17:05:24 PST 2009

On 2/27/09, Ross Penner <ross.penner at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 3:46 AM, Paul B. Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2/27/09, Ross Penner <ross.penner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Perhaps, but I rarely run Xorg. I use the machine as a gateway for our
>>> network in the house. I've noticed it most often when under a network
>>> load but that might not be a real correlation.

>> The locks happens for me only if kernel prints something on console while
>> something other is being printed on vtys.
>> So it looks like your problem is not related to syscons bugs.
>>
>> --
>> Paul
>
> Well, it might not actually be that far off. When I have powerd
> enabled, I frequently get a message on the console about 'vge watchdog
> timeout'

I got that similar one when using "powerd -b min"
and transferring big file with ndis vap configured in adhoc mode.
Probably I was just lucky that I used min instead of (h)adp.

> Does anybody have any ideas on how to try and fix this issue?

One nasty fix would be disabling kernel messages on console. I never
tested if it actually works, or perhaps I did but forgot about it ;) :

echo "kern.consmute=1" >> /boot/sysctl.conf

Another, better one would be to make syscons giant free, perhaps
rewriting it from scratch ....

--
Paul