7.1 hangs in cache_lookup mutex?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Feb 24 22:19:00 PST 2009

> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:46:28 -0600
> From: Guy Helmer <ghelmer at palisadesys.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> I think I may have found a clue regarding some of the hangs I'm seeing
> on FreeBSD 7.1.
> I have a program (kvoop), compiled under FreeBSD 6 and using
> compatibility libraries under FreeBSD 7, that seems to be consistently
> involved during these hangs.  This time, I noticed that many processes
> are stopped, waiting on the ufs lock.  I can't tell for certain, but I
> assume this kvoop process 33203 is blocking the other processes.  The
> kvoop process looks to me like it is waiting for a mutex, but nothing
> shows up being deadlocked.  Am I on the right track?  Is there something
> else I should be looking for?

For whatever it is worth, I have seen this three times over the past
couple of weeks. My system is RELENG_7 of Feb. 7. I have no real
information to add other than that I have also had this problem. When it
happens, the only way out is a reboot. It hit me twice while updating
Xorg.

Thanks for your efforts! I hope someone can track down what is triggering
with this.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)