Broken loader on 7.1-STABLE?

Yoshihiro Ota ota at j.email.ne.jp
Thu Feb 12 20:43:03 PST 2009

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 17:05:04 +1300
Mark Kirkwood <markir at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> > I wrote:
> >>
> >> I am getting this too - update from RELENG_7 @12 Jan src to 20 Jan
> >> and I have:
> >>
> >> panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0x511d
> >> from /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/../../common/module.c:959
> >>
> >> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
> >> Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0

I am experiencing same error.

In my case, I cannot boot from anything other than /boot/kernel.
While my /boot/kernel is bootable, I do "cp -pr /boot/kernel /boot/kernel.ok".
Then, it fails like the error message above.
After I do mv /boot/kernel.ok /boot/kernel, it boots fine.

My environment is HP pavilion dv6425 with FreeBSD 7.1.
I think I started noticing this since 7.1-RC.

Regards,
Hiro