CFT: ath hal src switchover

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko gaijin.k at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 20:16:20 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 15:09 -0800, Sam Leffler wrote:
> Bengt Ahlgren wrote:
> > Uwe Laverenz <uwe at laverenz.de> writes:

> >> I tested this on a Thinkpad R51 / RELENG_7 / Atheros 5212 and I see no
> >> problems with the patch. It builds and runs fine and doesn't seem to
> >> do anything harmful. :)
> >>
> >> I have a problem with this machine though (with or without your
> >> patch): the wireless connection seems to be stalled every few
> >> minutes. If I try to send some traffic over ath0 or make wpa_cli
> >> reconnect it comes back for another few minutes.
> >>
> >> The only cure for now seems to be "ifconfig ath0 -bgscan".
> >>

> > That sounds like it can be the same symptoms as I described on the
> > freebsd-mobile list earlier this week:
> >
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2009-February/011343.html
> >
> > What clockrate do you run at?  On my system (Thinkpad X40, Atheros
> > 5212) the problem does not occur at kern.hz=1000, but it is present at
> > kern.hz=100.
> >
> > Tomorrow evening I will investigate this further including testing if
> > "ifconfig ath0 -bgscan" makes a difference for me.
> >

> There are many many changes to the ath driver in head that are not in
> stable.  If I can get confidence in the hal backport I can try to bring
> back some of those.  But I need to do things in the proper order; I
> can't backmerge a bunch of stuff, find something is broken, and then
> have to bisect changes.  So people need to help get the hal code in
> place first.

Patch applied cleanly and works for

ath0 at pci0:3:0:0:	class=0x020000 card=0x058a1014 chip=0x1014168c rev=0x01
hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Atheros Communications Inc.'
    device     = 'AR5212 Atheros AR5212 802.11abg wireless'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0xedf00000-0xedf0ffff irq 17 at device 0.0 on
pci3
ath0: mac 10.3 phy 6.1 radio 10.2

My -STABLE is of February 5, 2009 about 7AM EST.

I build wireless stuff as modules and load them manually.

If it is of any value, I am using WPA-PSK.

If there is any particular testing that I can perform, or any additional
information that I can provide, please, let me know and I will be happy
to oblige.

Thank you very much for your work.

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko