Unhappy Xorg upgrade

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 9 11:43:19 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 19:26 +0000, Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
> Robert,
>
> First, thanks for all your dedicated work so far on the Xorg ports.
>
> I realize this upgrade has been somewhat fraught with unexpected issues.
>
> FWIW, things are not greener on the Linux side of the fence; many Ubuntu
> and Debian users have reported issues with the newer Xorg and in
> particular hald.
>
> Robert Noland wrote:
> >> I still see the USB symptoms with xorg-server port as of today -- forced
> >> rebuild with libpciaccess also. So amd64 is still regressed -- USB is
> >> totally unusable there after X is started. My theory was that somehow
> >> Xorg was stomping on the USB controller registers on this machine. The
> >> USB controller on this box is ALi, card=0x81561043.
> >>

> > Is your usb sharing interrupts with the video card?
> >

> Yes, it appears so. This is an ASUS Vintage AH-1, uniprocessor amd64 box
> w/ioapic enabled
>
> from devinfo -r (abbreviated):
> ohci0 17
> ohci1 18
> ohci2 19
> ehci0 23
>
> lspci -v jibes with devinfo -r -- the primary head got IRQ 18, the
> secondary IRQ 255.
>
> It appears msk0 is also sharing IRQ 18, though I haven't seen any
> problems with networking; mskc0, however, is then configured to use MSI
> (pseudo IRQ 256, 258), it is a PCI-e device.
>
> When the system starts, the drm module has not been loaded, so the
> Radeon (Sapphire X550) card hasn't been allocated its IRQ by FreeBSD.
>
> After X starts, glxinfo and glxgers work fine. kldstat reports drm.ko
> and radeon.ko got loaded by X as I would expect. I still see no IRQ
> allocated for the radeon, either in dmesg output or in devinfo -r,
> however, vmstat -i does show drm0 as sharing IRQ 18.

Ok, that is odd... Once drm is loaded and X opens it, the ddx driver
should request that the irq handler be installed.  At that point, dmesg
should show something resembling the following.

vgapci0: child drm0 requested pci_enable_busmaster
info: [drm] AGP at 0xc0000000 256MB
info: [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20080730
drm0: [ITHREAD]

I have code to enable msi for drm, which has been at least minimally
tested on intel and ati.  FWIW, linux does not support msi on radeon
yet, so I got the jump on them there... The outstanding issue with that
code is that I still need to implement a blacklist for certain devices
that report msi capability, but don't (intel 945gm, is the only known
chip atm).

Does the issue still occur if drm is disabled?

robert.