fun with if_re

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Wed Feb 4 03:37:00 PST 2009

Am 04.02.2009 um 10:05 schrieb Gerrit Kühn:

> After the last update (11th December 2008) I have noticed the
> following
> strange behaviour on at least two machines (identical hard- and
> software):
> After weeks of flawless operation, the network connection on both
> interfaces suddenly starts to mangle packages. Even a simple ping
> can show
> up to 50% or so package loss. The machine is mostly unreachable via
> net.
> ifconfig up/down did not cure this, turning off checksum-offloading
> and stuff did not help. Even simply rebooting the machine did not
> make the
> problem go away! I had to power-cycle them by unplugging all cables
> to get
> back to normal operation.

I've seen a similar, but fully reproducible behavior on this ethernet
hardware. It turned out to be not a problem of the driver:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/130957

> Is it
> possible to use if_re from head as drop-in replacement to test the
> patches
> available after 12/09?

The other way, using an older if_re, worked by replacing sys/dev/re/
if_re.c, sys/pci/if_rlreg.h and sys/pci/if_rl.c, so the answer ist
likely "yes".

MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/