problem with "cold" hardware? [Was: panic in callout_reset: bad link in callwheel]

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Feb 2 04:40:06 PST 2009

Andriy Gapon schrieb:
> on 28/01/2009 21:22 Andrew Snow said the following:
>
>> Andriy Gapon wrote:
>>
>>> Previously I heard about problems with hardware running hot, but not
>>> with it being "cold". I put the word in quotes, because the system is in
>>> a room with normal room temperature.
>>>
>>> Any guesses what hardware part might be acting up like this?
>>>
>> Power supply.  Give all the capacitors a visual check.  Or you may be
>> drawing too much power from your rated supply.
>>

> Right on the target. I opened the PSU after replacing it, visually it
> looks OK (too me), nevertheless I have verified that the fault was in it.
>
> Thank you and everybody who helped!

Electronic devices, including computers, that become unable to /cold/
boot (and need a reset some seconds or minutes after power-up) usually
suffer from dry or leaked capacitors, either in the PSU or - I've seen
that more often - the voltage regulator on the main board. Dry
capacitors often look innocuous, unlike leaked ones that show brownish
stains (electrolytes) on the cap or underneath.