Soekris 4801 hangs (was Re: Hangs, maybe a clue)

Pete Carah pete at altadena.net
Sun Feb 1 17:20:05 PST 2009

I fixed the problem on my 4801's by having noticed a correlation with
psm and hangs on my laptop, and
thought there may be a LOR or such involving the keyboard driver and/or
kbdmux.  Since a 4801 has no need
of those drivers, but *does* contain the hardware they control, just
with no external peripherals connected, I tried
configuring the Soekris kernel with all vestiges of atkbdc, psm, kbdmux,
sc, and such removed.  This did appear to fix the hangs.

The hangs only seem to happen on AMD hardware; I have several
ich{3,5}+p3 or p4 machines that don't hang.

Before I figured that out I noticed some PHK notes about enabling the
hardware watchdog and did that too, but did the upgrade mentioned above
before any watchdog hits.  I haven't seen any spontaneous reboots (which
a watchdog hit would look like) since the reconfig either.

-- Pete