Cannot list a particular directory through NFS with UDP

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Thu Dec 31 19:13:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:

[stuff snipped]
>> This appears to be the reply to the nfs readdir request, which is what
>> would be expected. It could be a problem with the content or the reply
>> or a NetBSD client issue.
>>
>> If you were to email me the raw tcpdump capture for the above, I could
>> take a look at it in wireshark (which knows how to interpret nfs) and
>> see if there is anything bogus looking in the reply.
>> ("tcpdump -s 0 -w <file> host 192.168.1.1" and then email me <file> as an
>> attachment, should do it)
>
> You will find the pcap file attached.

Well, I looked at it under wireshark and the readdir reply looks fine.
(It is made up of two IP fragments, but wireshark reassembles them ok
and says the checksums are ok. The contents look like a valid Readdir
RPC reply.) Maybe NetBSD doesn't reassemble the IP fragments correctly
or has an issue w.r.t. the checksum, but Wireshark thinks it's aok.

rick
ps: I vaguely recall that the problem went away when you used TCP
     instead. Is that correct?