Using RELENG_8 to compile for older RELENG_x

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Wed Dec 16 13:01:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:54:52PM +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
> In the days before 5.3 or even 6.0 I could understand why people clung to
> 4.x. But now it seems like inviting trouble.

5.3 still had a lot of sharp edges (a lot of things were merged into it
just prior to release).  But at this point, we're even phasing out 6.x.
Really, I would hope that everyone except people embedding FreeBSD into
their products (and thus have long development cycles) would be on 7.x
by now.  It has a much better chance of running on modern hardware.

mcl