Dell D830, nVidia and FreeBSD-8/amd64

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Dec 15 20:57:04 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 15 December 2009 2:47:03 pm Jonathan Chen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 10:18:36AM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:

> > the
> > same

> > > I've attached a dmesg with a verbose boot. I hope this is what you're
> > > looking for.
> >
> > Ok, can you grab the output of 'devinfo -r' and 'devinfo -ur'?  I suspect that
> > when the bridge allocates the prefetch resource range from the parent it is
> > failing somehow.  For a quick hack try something like this:
> [...]
>
> I've attatched the requested output. Unfortunately, the patch didn't
> result in anything different.
>
> I/O memory addresses:
>     0xdff00000-0xe06fffff (acpi0)
>     0xe0700000-0xe0700fff (cbb0)
>     0xe0701000-0xf3ffffff (root0)

The root0 range is ok (it really means free), but the cbb0 and acpi0 ranges
here conflict with the prefetch BAR for the video adapter.  The cbb0 one I
think is because that range is free when cbb0 needs to allocate a fresh range
of resources.  The real bug is why your BIOS thinks that a system resource is
using 0xe0000000-0xe06fffff which conflicts with the nvidia card.  You can
try disabling ACPI's system-resource handling (set
debug.acpi.disabled="sysres" from the loader).

--
John Baldwin