RELENG_8 buildworld broken?

Pieter de Goeje pieter at degoeje.nl
Wed Dec 9 23:34:08 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 09 December 2009 23:14:13 ocean wrote:
> Pieter de Goeje wrote:
> > Actually, the way you specified CFLAGS overrides CPUTYPE. AFAIK you
> > should set CFLAGS/CPUTYPE like this:
> > CPUTYPE?=....
> > CFLAGS+=...
> >
> > Though bothering with CPUTYPE or CFLAGS is actually a waste of time if
> > you ask me. I've never observed any measurable improvement in the speed
> > of the system by setting these. Note that most ports which DO benefit
> > from specialized CFLAGS (mplayer comes to mind) have an option called
> > WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS.
>
> i specified it with CPUTYPE?=... and wasn't working for buildworld, had to
> add it in CFLAGS. also doing "make buildworld CPUTYPE=..." didn't work.
It works for me. Just tried with CPUTYPE?=nocona and CFLAGS+=-O3 which
resulted in these CFLAGS: -O2 -pipe -O3 -march=nocona when building tcsh for
example.
Not everything build during buildworld honors these settings btw.

My point still stands though, I can't see how any of the base tools would
benefit from higher optimization levels. The only thing that could possibly
benefit is the kernel, but the kernel uses COPTFLAGS (and CPUTYPE).

> on my (old) notebook i noticed good improvements in the boot process, it
> was taking lot of time to start maybe one minute, with a recompiled kernel
> with ipv6. without ipv6 with tweaked CFLAGS boots in less than 30 seconds
> (~24 seconds).
Most likely the difference was cause by leaving out IPv6, not by the CFLAGS.

- Pieter