RELENG_8 buildworld broken?

Ben Morrow ben at morrow.me.uk
Wed Dec 9 23:30:54 UTC 2009

Quoth Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl>:
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 01:09:12PM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>
> > Basically, all this comes back to the same thing: the entire "base
> > system" concept needs to be revisited (that's a nice way of saying
> > "nuked from orbit", but that's my opinion).
>
> Hmm, I kind of like having a usable base system as opposed to just a
> kernel. :-) It is one of the strong points of FreeBSD, IMHO. The fact that the
> base system is developed as a unit keeps it working very well.

Yes. At a bare minimum, the base system should contain enough to 'make
install' a typical port, including everything required to get the
network running. Application programs like sendmail and bind could
easily be moved out into ports (just as X11 was), but the core libraries
and the dev environment should be distributed as a unit. One of the
reasons I switched my home machine to FreeBSD was to get away from the
nightmare of trying to upgrade glibc in Gentoo. I don't believe I ever
got it to run right through without it falling over and having to go in
and build some package by hand: the recursive dependancies (portage
depends on python depends on glibc depends on a newer version of
portage... ) just got too complicated.

Ben