vmstat and iostat us/sy/id numbers wrong?

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Sat Dec 5 14:19:09 UTC 2009

I'm confused about the numbers shown in the last three columns in both vmstat and iostat. They should reflect percent of CPU time spent on user processes, system threads, and the idle thread (or something like that).

On multiple machines running 8-stable from the last couple of days, the numbers do not agree with actual system usage and with numbers shown by top, at all.  I'm seeing 7 7 87 on one box, 0 0 100 on another, and 10 3 87 on a third.  The numbers stay the same even under different loads.

Am I misunderstanding what those numbers should represent?

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811