Perennial suggestion to split freebsd-stable into version-specific lists

CmdLnKid cmdlnkid at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 16:45:12 UTC 2009

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 20:17 -0000, dougb wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I make this suggestion every time there is a new major release coming,
> maybe this time will be the one! :)
>
> One could argue that with the 2 active stable branches that we have
> now the freebsd-stable@ mailing list is already quite confusing.
> Adding a third (8-STABLE) will make it much more so (arguably
> confusion to the third power instead of just confusion squared), for a
> lot of reasons that I think are probably obvious.
>
> Thus, my suggestion. Split what is currently freebsd-stable into one
> list per branch. This year I even have a better suggestion for the
> names, freebsd-6@, freebsd-7@, and freebsd-8 at . After the flag day mail
> sent to the existing -stable list can get an auto-reply explaining the
> new world order.
>

> What do you think?
>
> Doug

I think this is a very good idea. This would also allow targeting
specific releases directly from the documentation/release notes.

I vote on specifically:

FreeBSD-8stable
FreeBSD-8release
FreeBSD-7stable
FreeBSD-7release

and then 9 or current just stays the same obviously.

and so on....

Then at EOL drop and archive the list that coordinates.

Not to mention the benefits of tracking problems per distribution that
this would provide.

Just some thoughts.

Best regards.

--