Fatal Trap 12 in various processes always at address 0x3030313a

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Sun Aug 30 06:31:11 UTC 2009

In the last episode (Aug 29), Richard Mahlerwein said:
> (Sorry, update to subject to be <something>)
>
> 3 weeks ago:
> I upgraded from 7.1-PRELEASE to -stable and all seemed fine
> until I rebooted out of single user mode after doing make
> installworld and mergemaster.  At that point, near the
> end of the boot sequence I got a core dump, apparently
> triggered by devd.
>
> ****
> Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode.
> cpu id = 0; apic id = 00
> fault virtual address = 0x3030313a
> fault code = supervisor write, page not present
> [snip]
> current process = 355 (devd)
> ****

At this point you will want to get a kernel dump and post its stack trace.
0x3030313a in ASCII is "001:", so some string probably overflowed a buffer.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-gdb.html

--
	Dan Nelson