livelocks and deadlocks on 8.0BETA2

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Aug 21 15:15:57 UTC 2009

> From: Ed Jobs <oloringr at gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 10:52:30 +0300
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> On Friday 21 August 2009 02:56, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I have a quad-core system that I updated to 8.0 about 2 weeks
> ago. It
> > ran fine until yesterday when I used the PATA/ATAPI DVD drive to
> read a
> > disk. Then the fun began. I saw two totally different presentations,
> but
> > I hope that they both are manifestations of the same problem.
> >

> [snip]
>
> i have no idea about the second problem, but the 1st one it's not
> fbsd-specific. it has happened to me on a linux box. repeatedly i
> might add. after a couple of hours playing videos, X would use 100%
> of cpu and i wasn't able to switch to a VTY or kill it via ctrl-alt-
> backspace.
> i think it might be a problem related to mplayer, but i'm not sure,
> cause it did not crash, so no bad-behavour log.
> on the linux box, it's easy to handle (just /etc/rc.d/kdm restart via
> ssh). But since fbsd doesn't use kdm it's only reboot.
>
> i don't use mplayer or X on my fbsd box so i don't really know on what
> version X or mplayer are. The problem has stopped happening on the
> linux box. it uses mplayer 29411-3 and xorg-server 1.6.3-3.

Okay. Since it shows up with very different players (mplayer and xine),
it sounds like an Xorg issue. Could you tell me what graphics card you
are running on the Linux box?

I have an NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT with the NV driver and a pair of
1280x1024 screens.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)