nscd in 6.x?

Jordi Espasa Clofent jespasac at minibofh.org
Thu Aug 20 10:18:26 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I want to implement nscd in a lot of servers which has diferents
releseases of 6.x and 7.x branches.
No problem with 7.x branches: nscd seems part of the system now:

# whereis nscd && uname -r
nscd: /usr/sbin/nscd /usr/share/man/man8/nscd.8.gz /usr/src/usr.sbin/nscd
7.0-RELEASE-p4

But not appears in 6.2:

# whereis nscd && uname -r
nscd:
6.2-RELEASE-p11

or 6.3

# whereis nscd && uname -r
nscd:
6.3-RELEASE-p3

Moreover I've updated the src of one 6.3 to see if this it was included
in 6.4 sources but also it's not there:
# grep nscd /usr/src/sbin/

¿Can I use nscd in 6.x branch? ¿Is there some 'alternative'? I've read
about "cached" but I don't find anywhere in 6.3 (for example); the only
one reference I've found is the port /usr/ports/databases/memcached, but
I think it's not nscd-related at all.

--
Thanks,
Jordi Espasa Clofent