READ_BIG w/DVD-pata motion? (kern/133122)

Gavin Atkinson gavin at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 17 16:58:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 10:58 -0400, Charles Owens wrote:
> Just under a month ago I added a comment to this bug, to share that
> we're seeing this issue consistently with one of the HP appliance
> platforms that we support (with both FreeBSD 7.0 and 7.1).  This bug
> (marked as "serious") is still in the "open" state, with as yet no
> sign
> that anyone is working on it.  Does anyone have a sense as to when it
> might be given a good look?

A few bits of information are missing from that PR, it would be useful
if you could add the following to it:

- A full verbose dmesg
- two outputs of "vmstat -i", say 10 seconds apart, both before and
after the problems start.

FWIW, I'm not convinced that your problem is the same as the submitter's
problem - he's complaining only on issues when he hits the last block of
the CD, and you're having problems with slow reads throughout the whole
CD.  If you're not using a "JMicron JMB363 SATA300 controller" it's
likely your issue is different to kern/133122 and it would be worth
creating a new PR with a full description of exactly what symptoms you
see, and the above information.

Gavin